Posts Tagged ‘baby quilt’

Black, White and Pink All Over

Here’s the latest baby quilt I made for a friend, whose shower was yesterday. Yay! I finally finished one before the baby is born!

Black, White and Pink All Over

Black, White and Pink All Over

That’s my little guy on the left, and my husband on the right. I actually have another pic of this quilt where you can see my husband’s face, but like me, he hates having his picture taken! 🙂 It’s hard to see from this picture, but I used a very cute black, white and pink kitty fabric that I’d bought quite some time ago but hadn’t made anything with. I thought it was perfect for my friend because she’s having a little girl and she has two kitties of her own. (She loved it!)

I used a pattern from Dianne Hire‘s book, Quilters Playtime: Games With Fabric. “Musical Chairs” basically has you taking a stack of fabrics (I used 9), cutting them twice up and twice across, and then reassembling them into blocks. Then you put them together any way you like. I did them three to a row with a row of solid blue inbetween each row of blocks.

To finish this baby quilt quickly, I also used a couple of tricks that are certainly not new, but new to me! Binding is one of those things that I just cannot stand doing (and it takes me forever!). So this time I decided to “birth” the quilt, using the pillowcase binding method. If you’ve never tried this before and hate binding a quilt like I do, I highly suggest giving this method a go! It’s really quick and simple. Basically you layer the quilt top, backing and binding in a certain order, sew 1/4″ all the way around (leaving an opening to turn the quilt right-side out), and flip it out, finish the seam, and then sew another 1/4″ around. I think that the next time I do this, I will add a 3/4″ strip to the outside of the quilt top, so that when I sew the final seam, it will fake looking like an actual binding. I’ll let you know how that turns out. 😉

The other thing I did was to tie the quilt with yarn instead of quilting it. This took a couple of hours in front of the t.v., as opposed to several more hours behind a sewing machine. I like the way it came out, and was definitely one of the quicker baby quilts I’ve put together (though it still took me about 8 hours total).


Oh, crap.

I just realized, as I pulled out the baby quilt to get the top finished today, that I made a big mistake. This means frog stitching for me tonight! (Rip it, rip it, rip it!) Can you see what I did wrong?

The two bottom blocks need to be turned 1/4 so that the yellow HSTs are facing inward, like the top to blocks are. Sigh. And? I had already put the borders on (not in this picture). Double sigh. Oh well, I guess that’s the way quilting goes sometimes!

A Work in Progress

Well, I’ve started working on my favorite quilting links page, the first of which is a whole bunch of links to free patterns found on the web. Maybe I should put each page separately? That might be easier than one giant page of links.

It’s Friday, and I’ve just read that our beloved playgroup coordinator wants to have the baby shower (for three woman all due around the same time!) on May 8. That’s one day before my birthday! My big 4-0 birthday. Oh well, that means I need to get two more baby quilts done before then. This is the first one I finished. It’s a rag quilt for one of the three who doesn’t want to know the sex of the baby before he/she is born (but I’m thinking boy here). I went with bright colors, and included a fabric of VW Bugs because her husband gave her a new one last year. This was a fun, quick, quilt-as-you-go quilt that only took me about 5 hours from start to finish.

The front of the quilt (raggy side)

The back of the quilt (smooth side); I like how it’s reversible, too.

A closeup of the bug fabric.

It’s Friday, and my plan for the weekend is to move my quilting table, machine and everything into our master bedroom. Sigh. I thought that when we moved into this big old house, I’d be able to have my own quilting space in the washroom, but it turns out that there are big spaces between the roof and the walls and that the door from the washroom to the garage is only a screen door (and the garage doesn’t have a garage door), and it’s so dusty here where we moved (Grecia, Costa Rica, in case you’re wondering), that I have dust all over everything in my “workroom.” Dust on my fabric, dust on my machine, dust on my table, dust dust dust everywhere. I feel like I may have a small inkling of what pioneers who lived through the Dust Bowl felt. So, my sewing room is coming out of there and into the master bedroom. Fine by me. At least it’s not dusty in there!