Posts Tagged ‘quilts’

Black, White and Pink All Over

Here’s the latest baby quilt I made for a friend, whose shower was yesterday. Yay! I finally finished one before the baby is born!

Black, White and Pink All Over

Black, White and Pink All Over

That’s my little guy on the left, and my husband on the right. I actually have another pic of this quilt where you can see my husband’s face, but like me, he hates having his picture taken! 🙂 It’s hard to see from this picture, but I used a very cute black, white and pink kitty fabric that I’d bought quite some time ago but hadn’t made anything with. I thought it was perfect for my friend because she’s having a little girl and she has two kitties of her own. (She loved it!)

I used a pattern from Dianne Hire‘s book, Quilters Playtime: Games With Fabric. “Musical Chairs” basically has you taking a stack of fabrics (I used 9), cutting them twice up and twice across, and then reassembling them into blocks. Then you put them together any way you like. I did them three to a row with a row of solid blue inbetween each row of blocks.

To finish this baby quilt quickly, I also used a couple of tricks that are certainly not new, but new to me! Binding is one of those things that I just cannot stand doing (and it takes me forever!). So this time I decided to “birth” the quilt, using the pillowcase binding method. If you’ve never tried this before and hate binding a quilt like I do, I highly suggest giving this method a go! It’s really quick and simple. Basically you layer the quilt top, backing and binding in a certain order, sew 1/4″ all the way around (leaving an opening to turn the quilt right-side out), and flip it out, finish the seam, and then sew another 1/4″ around. I think that the next time I do this, I will add a 3/4″ strip to the outside of the quilt top, so that when I sew the final seam, it will fake looking like an actual binding. I’ll let you know how that turns out. 😉

The other thing I did was to tie the quilt with yarn instead of quilting it. This took a couple of hours in front of the t.v., as opposed to several more hours behind a sewing machine. I like the way it came out, and was definitely one of the quicker baby quilts I’ve put together (though it still took me about 8 hours total).

Advertisements

Baby Quilt #2

Today I started on baby quilt #2, which is for a boy. I played around with half-square string blocks in Electric Quilt, and came up with something along these lines:

Then I did the blue string blocks, which looked like this before being cut (ew!):

And after (much better!):

Tomorrow I’ll cut out the solid blocks and it should be pretty quick to put the heart of the top together.

My son and I also made his very first quilt today! He’s 3, so it was quite an accomplishment. He picked out a background fabric, which I cut about the size of a sheet of paper, and then told me what colors he wanted to use. So I used fusible web on the back of several pieces of fabric, cut them up into different shapes, and let him stick them to the background. Then I fused the pieces down and let him color all over it with my fabric markers. I finished the quilt for him by quilting, backing, and binding it and adding a label. He was so proud! Hey, if you’ve got one of those kids that always wants to “help” you quilt, this is a great project for them! Older kids could make actual pictures and cut out their own shapes themselves. It was fun and a great way for him to pass the time while Mom was busy making those string blocks! Not that I can take all the credit for this idea, though. I picked up Laura Wasilowski’s book Fusing Fun and thought, hmmm, this could work with kids, too!

A Work in Progress

Well, I’ve started working on my favorite quilting links page, the first of which is a whole bunch of links to free patterns found on the web. Maybe I should put each page separately? That might be easier than one giant page of links.

It’s Friday, and I’ve just read that our beloved playgroup coordinator wants to have the baby shower (for three woman all due around the same time!) on May 8. That’s one day before my birthday! My big 4-0 birthday. Oh well, that means I need to get two more baby quilts done before then. This is the first one I finished. It’s a rag quilt for one of the three who doesn’t want to know the sex of the baby before he/she is born (but I’m thinking boy here). I went with bright colors, and included a fabric of VW Bugs because her husband gave her a new one last year. This was a fun, quick, quilt-as-you-go quilt that only took me about 5 hours from start to finish.

The front of the quilt (raggy side)

The back of the quilt (smooth side); I like how it’s reversible, too.

A closeup of the bug fabric.

It’s Friday, and my plan for the weekend is to move my quilting table, machine and everything into our master bedroom. Sigh. I thought that when we moved into this big old house, I’d be able to have my own quilting space in the washroom, but it turns out that there are big spaces between the roof and the walls and that the door from the washroom to the garage is only a screen door (and the garage doesn’t have a garage door), and it’s so dusty here where we moved (Grecia, Costa Rica, in case you’re wondering), that I have dust all over everything in my “workroom.” Dust on my fabric, dust on my machine, dust on my table, dust dust dust everywhere. I feel like I may have a small inkling of what pioneers who lived through the Dust Bowl felt. So, my sewing room is coming out of there and into the master bedroom. Fine by me. At least it’s not dusty in there!